Monday, July 23, 2007

MS3 Clue 2 complete!

Clue # 2 is done! I actually finished clue 2 at 10:30 pm last night but it was too dark for pictures. I didn't want to quit knitting so you are also seeing 10 rows of clue 3. Clue 4 was released last Friday. I started two clues behind and this is where I remain. The stole should be 22 inches wide and right now mine is 22 inches wide and 20 inches long. I know there are a couple of beads missing on the left hand side but I am going to wait until later to see if I want to sew them on or just never point it out to anyone. I really doubt anyone will ever notice but me.

Can you see what looks like a Japanese dragon? No one knows the theme yet but I keep seeing a dragon face.
Here is a fuzzy close up of the bead work:

Can you see the little green, purple and blue shiny dots? They show up so nicely in person.
My cousin left a comment about not having "any idea what a clue is". Here is an explanation for all the non-knitting readers: The Mystery Stole #3 is a list group at Yahoo that 6700 women from around the world have signed up for. We were given suggestions for yarn and beads and a small swatch to knit. No one knows what we are knitting other than it is a lace stole. Each Friday Melanie, the designer, e-mails a pdf. file with a small piece of the pattern in chart form, usually about 50 rows. We all knit like mad and then sit back and look to see what we have made. There are many guesses as to the theme of the stole but so far no hints from Melanie.
This KAL (knit-a-long) has gotten unusual media attention because of the numbers that have signed up. Melanie was interviewed by USA today and mid August there will be an article about the group. There have also been links to various other small town papers. We are a bunch of knitting lemmings and the outside world finds this a little strange.
And I will leave you today with a Birthday picture. A. turned 14 last week. You can tell by the picture he was VERY excited for his Birthday. (He is the one they are trying to make smile)
I guess when you are a 14 year old boy it is a hassle to have a Birthday picture taken. (Note: only 8 of these children are mine.) More and more neighborhood kids show up everyday. We love the activity and wouldn't have it any other way!